Thursday, April 7, 2011

Detox: Day 4

Yipee!! You made it to day 4!! Almost over that hump. These past two days, you have probably not been feeling the greatest. Maybe some headaches (coffee withdrawl), maybe some gas & bloating (a sign of candida - yeast overgrowth) or maybe a chill (due to a drop in body temperature). These are all normal and should soon be over. These are actually good signs as it indicates that your hard efforts are working at releasing those toxins. Therefore you want to have some liver support such as milk thistle and some kidney support such as dandelion tea to help expel these toxins from the body.

My day 4 was good. I was out all day so had to bring all my food with me. Fortunately I was well prepared. I had curried lentils for lunch, beet & walnut salad for dinner and rewarded myself with two medjool dates for dessert. Yes, I know dates are on the 'occasion only' list but as I was meeting with friends I thought this to be a 'special occasion':) Oh man, they tasted like candy!
Curried lentils with carrots, cauliflower & kale
So now the weekend is here and you feel like you have to hibernate since you are detoxing. Absolutely not! I am going to see Timber Timbre tomorrow night and was a little worried about being the only one with a water bottle in hand while everyone else had a beer. Luckily for me its a no-alcohol venue so I got out of that one! But my girlfriend has a date tomorrow night and she was stumped on what she'll be able to eat. Surprisingly there are quite a few options for when going out without cheating too much. Sushi is totally allowed (especially brown rice) as long as its vegetarian. Most salads are fine as long as you stick to vinaigrette dressings. Vegetarian curries are usually a good choice or any vegetable dishes served with rice or rice noodles. Dairy-free, meat free soups are good too but stay away from the bread or crackers that often come with. Most of these dishes will probably still contain some ingredients you should be avoiding but honestly, your life doesn't stop because you are on a cleanse. Be realistic and just try to do the best you can.  You're doing great so far!!

2 comments:

  1. I just posted my entire diet for today, and then the server crashed saying it can't process my request. So here it is again in short form:
    Day 5 and I'm doing quite well! Started off with Bolthouse carrot juice, thenh for lunch finished leftover soup (onions, mushrooms, peas and their shells, cumin, coriander etc) along with a quinoa salad that contained red kidney beans, water chestnuts, avocado, roasted almonds. for dinner, salad had arugula, rappini, chopped garlic, red pearl onions and ginger, avocado, red kidney beans, pine nuts, roasted sunflower seeds, balsamic vinegar, whole flax seed. then quinoa with red kidney beans over more baby bok choi and asparagus. dessert was 2 madjool dates! ;)
    thanks Kim, I couldn't have done it without your help.
    note: after that killer salad, I would recommend flossing and abstaining fro human contact. (My poor roommate!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! This is awesome Toni!! Thanks for sharing and giving a great example of how detox definitely does not mean deprivation in any way!!!

    ReplyDelete