Thursday, April 28, 2011

Detox: Day 25

Sometimes this world can be a pretty dark place. The noise, the dirt, the smells and the people make it very challenging at times to stay positive. As I sit in my apartment, journal-ing about my quest to ultimate health, my alcoholic neighbor above beats his alcoholic wife. This unfortunately is a regular occurrence and as much as I try to help, she refuses and continues to allow this psychotic behavior to carry on. Obviously, there are so many things that bother me about this situation. But I think the thing that bothers me the most is how much they take life for granted.

I was informed today that a co-worker from my old job died of ovarian cancer. She wasn't even 50 years old. As I reflect upon this news, while listening to sounds of ultimate darkness coming from above, I can't help but to question why life seems to be so unfair at times.

There is garbage in the streets, traffic on the roads spewing exhaust into the air we breathe, men beating their wives, wives letting men beat them, children starving and good people dying too young. There is darkness all around us. So what can we do? How do we cope? The only answer I came up with is to choose to see the light. As much as there is dark, there is light. It is up to us to decide where to place our focus.

During this loooong week of gloomy weather, there is one thing that always makes me smile: daffodils! My most favorite flower is in full bloom right now and I couldn't be more happy. Every where I look are bursts of bright yellow popping up on lawns throughout the city. Daffodils make me so happy as their outside petals remind me of rays of sun and the bright yellow horn-shape center looks like a megaphone screaming 'happiness' as I walk by. How can you not smile when you spot something so beautiful?

Although there is only about 6" of concrete that separates me from my neighbor, we are literally worlds apart. Because he chooses to see the garbage and traffic and all I see are bright, blooming daffodils!

2 more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment