Thursday, September 9, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

I needed a sweetener for some muffins but it was Labour day and everything was closed. I walked to my corner 'depanneur' with $5 in my pocket planning to buy some honey. Honey was $6 so I bought molasses instead. I haven't baked much with molasses but I will now. Molasses is a great source of iron, calcium as well as manganese, potassium, magnesium and copper. A lot more beneficial than that poisonous white stuff!!

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Yield: 12 large
Bake: in 400ºF oven for 20 minutes

11/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup yogurt, plain
1/2 cup almond milk
2/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup sunflower oil
2 bananas, large, ripe, mashed
1 egg, large, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Instructions:
In a bowl mix together rolled oats, yogurt and milk. Let soak for 10 minutes.
Mix oat flour, salt, spices, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
Add molasses, mashed banana, egg and oil to rolled oats mixture. Mix well.
Add dry ingredients to the rolled oats mixture. Mix well. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Nice blog :)
    Don't have molasses in my local supermarket (UK). What's a good substitute ?
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy!!

    I have been making Ginger cookies made with molasses...will email it to you so you can use more molasses!!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Martin!! If you can't find Molasses, raw honey is a great substitute. Although it doesn't have the iron content that molasses does, it has a lower glycemic index and is said to have antioxidant and anti bacterial properties (oh I see a new post coming up;). Just substitute the molasses for 1/2 cup of honey.
    Hope they turn out just as yummy!
    kim ox

    ReplyDelete