Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fruity Nut Balls

I love nut balls!! I love them even more that they are fruity and sugar-free!!!

This recipe could not have come at a better time. Although being sugar-free for Marvelous Me March has actually not been that bad, I still crave my sweets. Although these Fruity Nut Balls contain a lot of natural sugars from the dried fruit, therefore should still be treated, well, as a treat, they are a great healthy alternative to nutrient deprived white sugary treats. Just 4 of these sweet balls contain 6 grams of fiber and a whoping 10 grams of protein!!!

Ingredients

2 cups mixed dried fruit (cranberries, apricots, dates, etc.)
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts and seeds (almonds, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds or coconut flakes (you'll get extra calcium if you use sesame seeds;)

Directions

  • Put dried fruit in food processor and pulse until well mixed and sticking together. Take out and put in large bowl.
  • Put mixed nuts and flax seeds in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Pour into bowl with dried fruit.
  • Cut fruit into nuts like cutting butter into flour. Continue until all nut mixture is sticking to dried fruit.
  • Knead into 1 inch balls, roll into sesame seed or coconut mixture coating all around and serve. 
                                                                          YUM!!

Recipe adapted from www.wholeliving.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kimmy, I'm going to try these 'cuz I, like you, love this type of treat! I've make an ayurvedic one from time to time; however, there is a little bit of brown rice syrup used in the recipe, so I'm going to try these ones to see if I'll like them as much. I'll keep you posted! XOX

    ReplyDelete