Friday, December 31, 2010

So this is the New Year. And what have I done?


I’m not sure about you but 2010 has just flown by. It feels as though it was just yesterday that I was at my friends party, although she celebrated her birthday in April. Or just yesterday I was shopping for flip flops but in reality, I just bought a pair of winter boots. 

At first thought, ‘fun’ would not be the first word I use to describe 2010. But if I look a little deeper, this was probably one of my most eventful years. Although one of my busiest, in between all the books and work, there were some amazing moments!

I absolutely hate even numbers. It was 2002 that I lost my Father. 2006 that I lost my mother, 2008 that I lost my mother-in-law and this year I lost my aunt. I am not sure what stoked the motivation to set my expectations so high for 2010 but I did. I remember New Year’s eve last year, talking with a friend about our resolutions. The goals we set for ourselves and what we hope to accomplish in 2010. I had three:
·      To become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist
·      To buy property
·      To grow more spiritually
I accomplished all three of my resolutions, although spiritually I still have much more growing to do. Along with accomplishing these resolutions, I got engaged to the love of my life, graduated with first class honors and as class valedictorian, found a steady, well paying job that I like, found an irregular, not-so-well paying job that I love, competed in my first duathalon, learned how to blog, bought my first new computer and jumped out of a plane for my first time!

The purpose of this blog is not to brag. Actually, before reflecting on my year, I was not so proud of 2010 because all I thought about was how busy and tired I was. I think it is human nature to see the negative before we can see all the positive in our lives. However, when being fair with myself, I realize how much I have to be proud of. This is the purpose of this post. To help you reflect on your year and be proud of all you accomplished.

Although some huge events occurred for me this year, I must not forget about some of those less eventful but very significant moments as well. Like the healing I have done and some of the fears I was finally willing to let go. Or the friendships I have helped create, or the existing ones I helped to make better.  Being able to believe in myself that I am most proud of. If it wasn’t for that, I would have never achieved anything this year. 

So as you reflect on 2010, try not to focus on the bad times, or what you were not able to accomplish. Think of all those beautiful moments and take time to recognize how important they were. Think of how much you have grown and how you made at least one person’s life better this year. Steve proposing, although was a moment I will cherish forever, was not my highlight of 2010.  My highlight was the moment I let go of my fears of commitment and put trust and faith in Steve’s love for me and mine for him. If I was not able to do that, Steve probably would have never proposed to me on that magical night. And jumping out of a plane, well that was just meant to signify my emotional leap!

No comments:

Post a Comment