Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Healthy Halloween Alternatives

I LOVE Halloween!! It's one of my favourite holidays. Being once a costume maker for Cirque du Soleil may have something to do with my love for dressing up in outrageous costumes. I also love getting spooked by all the ghosts, goblins and zombies however, there is one thing that scares me more than any of these and that is watching the kiddies gorge on all those sugar, chemical-filled 'treats'.

I know Halloween goes way back, and I do apologize, but I do not have the time to research how this crazed candy-giving tradition all started. However, what I did research are the effects sugar has on our bodies, especially little growing bodies.

 I have been reading many chat boards about candy giving on Halloween and unfortunately for most the 'well, it's only once a year' attitude is the opinion most parents share. But is that really so? Do parents really throw away all the candy the following day while their kids sit by and watch? I highly doubt it. And if that is so, then we can't ignore the enormous waste this holiday must carry. Really though, to avoid an argument, and because it 'really is once a year', kids snack on their candy stash for days, even weeks following. This is where the fun becomes a problem.

Ever wonder why flu season always coincides with this spooky holiday? Coincidence? Maybe. But I happen to think not. Research has shown that just 1 teaspoon of refined sugar can inhibit white blood cell production for up to 4 hours. In other words, your immune system takes a mini vacay every time you have a cookie. How many teaspoons of this sweet poison do you suppose your little ones consume on this 'kid-friendly' holiday and the days that follow? Now that's scary!!

I am not even a parent yet and I am already perplexed on how to handle this holiday once I have a little fairy princess or ninja turtle running around. I guess what it comes down to is not making these sweets a sought after item in the first place. If they don't have it in the home, mommy and daddy don't eat it and they have learned that this food is not good for them, the desire may seize to exist. That doesn't mean kids can't take part in Halloween though. It just means to shift the focus.

Here are a 5 healthy alternatives that make this holiday a little less scary.

1. Hand out toys: For the last few years, I have refused to hand out candy. Instead I buy stickers, hair elastics, bracelets, fake tattoos, colorful pencils and erasers. Despite my husbands' fear of us being egged by all the kids in the neighbourhood, this truly went over well. Kids were excited to actually see something different going into their pillow sacks. Plus, these items last way longer then any candy. Encourage your neighbours to do the same!

2. Hand out healthy treats: Unfortunately handing out baked goods and fresh fruit are a no go and we can thank a few psycho's for that one. But how about juice boxes, water bottles (keep those kids hydrated on their Halloween trek), pretzels, crackers, dried fruit or popcorn. All of these are far better options then what is usually found in the stash your kids bring home.

3. Have a visit from the Switch-Witch: This is a game I learned about from fellow parents. Once the child has had their fun and collected all those treats,  leave the bag out for the Switch-Witch to retrieve and in exchange she'll leave a gift or healthy treat to enjoy. Now what does the Switch-Witch (aka parents) do with all that candy? Although I don't think anyone should be consuming these sugar-loaded goods, a homeless shelter would be happy to take it off your hands.

4. The Halloween Candy Buy Back: Did you know that there are certain dentists that will buy your candy from you? They pay by the pound and often there are gifts for the kids rewarding them for supporting a healthy lifestyle. Some dentists will send the candy to our troops over seas or make a donation to a local charity. Check with your local dentist to see if they have a program as such in place.

5. Be the office hero: Again, I emphasize that I do not think candy is fit for anyone to eat. However, I have less of a problem when it comes to mature adults capable of making logical decisions for themselves. So after you play the Switch-Witch game, or with older kids you worked out some bribe with cash or not having to do chores, bring the candy to work. Whether I want to admit it or not, that candy will get eaten. And all your co-workers will love you for it. Everyone wins.

I'll be making these in my kids cooking class today!




No comments:

Post a Comment