Friday, November 2, 2012

Marvelous Me November: A Little Switch-a-roo!!

 'N' is for new. This is what was originally planned for November. However, back in January when I laid out the plans for The Marvelous Me Project, with motivation running at high speed, I never accounted for life's curve balls. Sometimes life just gets too busy and throws you off course. This is what happened in the summer months when I was deeply immersed with Biking for Bellies. Well during that time, I missed some very important Marvelous challenges. Since I make the rules of the MMP, I'm changing things up a bit!
My most memorable yoga practice - Kathleen, me & Paul - Massassauga I
Augusts' MMP challenge was one I was really looking forward to as the goal was to practice yoga everyday!  With the dreary November weather, shorter days and the absence of any holidays or exciting events, practicing yoga is the perfect way to lift your spirits, energize you and make you feel great! Whether it be a few sun salutations in the morning when you wake up or a full 90 minute class at your favorite studio, the goal is to practice everyday! Many of you may have never tried yoga before. Well, now is your time. I will be providing you with instructions and a video interview with my favorite yogi, so stay tuned. Until then, you can watch this beginners video to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9CvLUXUc8&feature=related

As with every MMP month, there is a lifestyle challenge (yoga) and one diet challenge. This is where I decided to keep the 'N' for new. In detail, everyday you must try something new where it relates to your diet. Whether it be to try a strange looking vegetable from Chinatown or attempting a new recipe. Or, just simply starting your day differently. For example, instead of consuming that oh so yummy espresso first thing, try starting your day with water and lemon. Or, instead of eating your fruit after lunch, trying eating fruit before your meal and see how you feel.  Trying something new everyday is a sure way to spice things up and keep life interesting in this oh so boring month. If you're lacking ideas, I will provide you with some recipes and nutrition tips.
Here are some ideas for tomorrow:
Brunch-goers: we all have a favorite Saturday morning brunch spot. We also all have our favorite item on that menu we know all too well. How about trying something different this time.  If you're not feeling that brave, then how about replacing those greasy taters with some greens. Or that little side of fruit you usually save for the end if you have room after your eggs Benny, how about eating them first?
A cozy dinner in on Saturday eve - how about trying a new recipe? Something in season like pumpkin or butternut squash. Or how about making something gluten free?
The possibilities are endless really!! So get your Lululemon pants on (oh yes men, this includes you!) and lets brighten up this oh so grey November!!


2 comments:

  1. I like this idea! something new everyday ! I will try to do this

    Ely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photo Kimmy! Well, I have to say that I've dibbled and dabbled in yoga for more than 20 years and just this summer I decided that I would incorporate it into my daily life . I found a wonderful DVD (it's a Yoga Journal DVD - I'm upstairs right now and the DVD is downstairs so I'll send you the link once I get off my butt and make my way downstairs to get the DVD!) which has one 15 minute evening relaxation practice, one 15 minute energetic morning practice and one 60 minute complete practice. I try to do at least one 15 minute each day and the 60 minute once a week. It's incredible how yoga changes our lives - completely and wholly. I'm so looking forward to your November Marvelous Me challenge! XOX

    ReplyDelete