Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fast to Last

It has been 46 hours and 44 minutes since my last bite of solid food. I am more than half way through my three day (84 hours actually) fast. Why the hell, you ask, would anyone want to deliberately starve them self? So glad you asked:)

I have been cleansing/detoxing bi-annually for several years now. I have shared with you my many reasons why I believe cleansing is not only helpful, but necessary in this day and age. From the dirty air we breath, the poor food choices we make, the chemically-bathed water we drink and the stress we endure daily, our bodies, especially our liver and kidneys, are over taxed and need an intermission to recuperate. Just like boxers in a ring, our bodies take a beating everyday. As well as our bodies may be at fighting the good fight, even the strongest athlete needs a few minutes to catch his breath. This is what a cleanse does. A fast, well that's like a vacation to Bora Bora after the Tour de France! By not eating anything for a short period of time, your digestive system completely slows down. Instead of your liver working in over drive to produce bile, separate the nutrients from the chemicals, distribute the nutrients throughout the body, dispose of the wastes and toxins and all the other 496 functions it is required to do when we eat, it has the chance to finally dispose of the overload of toxins that has accumulated over the months/years.

There are many different ways to fast. You can do the Master Cleanse (water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and maple syrup). However, I prefer a juice fast. I drink approximately 1-2 liters of freshly juiced vegetables throughout the day, along with drinking herbal tea and drinking pure water. I prefer the juice fast because I prefer my caloric intake (the maple syrup in the master cleanse) to come from a more nutritional source. Although I am fasting, by choosing to juice I still have a varied intake of minerals and vitamins. Also, I am a Gemini and I get too bored on the Master Cleanse. By juicing, I can change things up and experiment with some different combinations. I try to steer clear of fruits with the occasional apple being the exception. One is not necessarily better than the other. It is simply preference.

If you are even more disciplined and up for an even greater challenge, one can choose a water fast -  consuming nothing but water for the duration of the fast. I must inform my readers that this is not recommended. A day or two seems to be tolerable, however I know a few that water fast for 7 - 10 days, or even more. This is very taxing on the body and can cause harm. If I was able to spend my days sleeping and meditating and a peaceful temple somewhere exotic, then maybe this would be possible to attempt for a day or two. However, when one has to go to work, clean the house and continue with life's daily routine, this type of fast is just not manageable. Even on a juice fast, I do not ride my bike, I do not go to the gym and I refrain from any other strenuous activity. On a juice fast, I am consuming any where from 400 - 600 calories/day (the Master Cleanse is approximately 760). Considering some sources say you burn up to 68 calories/hr while sleeping, 500 calories is not a lot!! Use them wisely. Rest and adequate sleep is essential on a fast. I also choose to fast in the middle of my cleanse as it less of a shock on the body and by eliminating many of the 'forbidden' items prior to fasting, it makes the whole experience must easier.

My experience so far has been varied. I was definitely hungry and very tempted by the delicacies around me (everything, even the roast chicken Steve cooked was a delicacy at this point!). I did not practice what I preach and spent most of the afternoon raking wet leaves in my very large yard (cottage). I found myself tiring quickly and having to take frequent rests. Normal muscle aches seemed to be illuminated. I was flighty (more than usual that is;) and easily distracted. And around dinner time (Steve's dinner - not mine:( I found myself extremely irritable. So much so that I had to leave the kitchen and sit down away from food and attempt to distract myself with other things. It was then that I had an 'Ah-ha!' moment.

In my practice as a nutritionist, I recommend many, extremely difficult protocols to my clients. I ask them to restrict some of their biggest comfort foods and ask them to make changes they don't believe they can make. I ask a lot of my clients and I realize this. I think what has helped me realize the intensity of their sacrifices is through my own experience with those very same sacrifices. How can one be compassionate to how difficult it is to eliminate sugar from ones diet when they haven't tried it themselves? I do understand how hard it is because I have done it!

When sitting on my couch, irritated and annoyed by the grumbling sounds of my empty stomach, it then dawned on me: imagine feeling this way on a daily basis? According to the Toronto Foundation of Student Success, one in three children do experience this daily! It was there and then that I realized why kids fall behind in school or why aggressive, violent behavior is so common. They are hungry. I was obviously aware of this, hence the creation of Biking for Bellies. But it is one thing to be aware and another to truly grasp how these kids feel everyday. Please don't get me wrong. I am not comparing my 2 day fast to a childhood of hunger. However, this brief experience has helped me comprehend just how difficult it must be to live a hungry life.

You ask me why I fast. Now you can add compassion to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment