Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kim's Butternut Squash Soup


Fall is a difficult time for me. Learning to accept the fact that summer, my favorite season is over and that winter is just around the corner, does not come easy. Yes, I may be from Montreal but I am a wuss when it comes to cold weather! And as beautiful as fall is with all the magnificent colors, really the fact is, this color change is just a slow transition to death. Soon the trees will be bare and grey.
To keep me from curling up in the fetal position and not leaving my house until May, I cook! Fall is probably the best season for food as farmers put on display like trophies, all their hard work of the season. As people slowly slip away from those chilly outdoor patios and move back inside around their dinner tables, fall cooking is perfect for gathering together in that cozy comfortable setting.
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I wanted to share one of my favorite fall recipes. For those who need some last minute ideas for the family dinner or for those who just want to curl up with a movie this weekend, my butternut squash soup recipe will be the perfect companion.

Kim’s Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium butternut squash (approx. 2.5lbs)
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbsp ginger, freshly grated
3 Tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
Dash of cinnamon
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (can save seeds and roast just like pumpkin seeds – yum!). Brush squash halves with some melted butter or coconut oil and arrange cut side up in a roasting pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Set aside and cool.
When squash is cool, scoop flesh from the skin and set aside. In a large cooking pot, cook onion in butter or coconut oil until tender. Add ginger and cook for a few more minutes. Add broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash, cover and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and either transfer to food processor or using a hand blender, puree until smooth. Add coconut milk, stir and return to low heat. Add cinnamon, salt & pepper. Serve and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I'll definately try this recipe to cure my autumn spleen. Thanks Kimmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'm going to try it. I don't roast the squash when I make my soup so I'm guessing this one is going to have some extra flavor :-) Thanks KimmyD!

    ReplyDelete